Knowing your audience and personalizing your messaging to each individual is the heart of targeted marketing. Unlike traditional marketing, it boils down to making customers feel like they are the only one you have. This is the secret to creating raving fans who advocate for you to others.
Targeted marketing starts with defining “WHO” specifically is a good fit for a product or service and delivering personalized messages directly to that targeted audience. This is different than starting with “WHAT” the promotional message is, marketing to a broad audience and expecting a reaction. The process involves four stages that can transform a stranger into a promoter of your brand, ultimately.
Attract: The first stage is to attract strangers via keywords, blogs, social publishing and advertising so they become visitors.
Convert: Next up, you’ll work to convert them using effective landing pages, calls-to-action and user-friendly forms.
Close: Leads are then nurtured by your CRM, marketing campaigns and workflows until they close.
Delight: Once they become customers, this is when you’ll send out surveys and small contents that add value to your customers and make them promoters.
If you are creating an email campaign, you need to think about the type of audience you are targeting. It’s important to get a sense of your target market and find out who they are (age, job, school, home etc.), what appeals to them, where they are geographically, what they do in their free time, how connected they are (email, social media, text), and what they do online (shop, search, learn etc.). If you are targeting refinance customers or first-time homebuyers, there are a number of characteristics you can determine right off the bat:
- Willing to shop around for quotes
- Know what they are doing
- Looking for someone to guide them through the process
- Willing to pay more for helpful advice
- Referral driven
Use the characteristics of each audience to craft a tailored marketing message that speaks directly to their needs or concerns. Intent understands the different types of customer journeys and offers a multitude of targeted campaigns.
Now that you know the concepts, here are the steps to creating your own targeted marketing for your business:
- Find your niche: Decide which customers you work best with and market to them. Do you love working with first time homebuyers? Are move-up buyers more your speed? The more you can target your marketing the more success you’ll have with responses.
- Determine the need of your audience: What are your customers looking for that you can provide to them?
- Develop your solution: How are you going to explain to your customers what you can do to help them?
- Market your solution: Reach out to your target audience via text, email and social media letting them know that you can fulfill their need.
- Share your knowledge and engage in your space: Become a member of groups, forums and communities where you can share ideas, tips and more.
There are several ways to reach your audience and find leads, whether going through your database or asking for referrals. Social media ads are likely the most scalable and cost-effective method to get your brand in front of your target market. People who are thinking about refinancing their home and people who are about to move are on social media platforms. Social media advertising allows you to directly target and retarget these people and place highly relevant ads straight into their newsfeed. Think Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, Google and more.
Intent can create targeted social media ads and landing pages for you! Talk to us to learn how we can help you grow your business.