Whether you love to connect with friends and acquaintances or use social media solely to engage customers and build your brand, chances are you’ve heard about Clubhouse. The app has attracted celebrities like Oprah Winfrey, Ashton Kutcher, Chris Rock, and Jared Leto. It has over 180 investors and has raised $100 million, promising to become Silicon Valley’s latest cash cow. Don’t pass up the chance to capitalize on Clubhouse for mortgage as well!
What is it?
Clubhouse is an audio-chat social networking app that allows users to speak to others or listen to their conversations about various topics. According to The New York Times, the app “works by letting people join pop-up audio chat rooms that disappear when they end. Once in the rooms, users are segmented into tiers determined by moderators. Users can join any chat room, see who is speaking or listening, click into a profile page and follow others.” The focus is on high-brow conversations that mimic real life interactions.
How can it benefit your mortgage business?
Clubhouse gives users the option to follow other users, join rooms, follow topics and start rooms of their own. As the app gains more popularity, you can expect to find more mortgage and real estate experts creating conversations.
In addition to learning about what other industry leaders are doing in real estate, the app is a great space for networking with other industry professionals.
How to get an invite?
The Clubhouse app is still in beta, so it is currently Apple-only and invite-only. While the developers plan to make it available more widely, there are currently two ways to receive an invitation. An active user of the app can invite you via their main menu. Or you can download the app and notify your connections, who may be able to add you to the platform.
What to do once you’re in it?
Now that you are in, you will need to build your profile.
- Upload a clear and crisp profile photo.
- Write a bio that quickly gives users insight into who you are and the value you could offer in conversations. Use emojis in your bio. Unlike any other social media app, Clubhouse allows users to search by emoji.
- Link your Instagram and/or Twitter account for people to easily connect with you.
How to navigate the hallway?
After your bio is set up, you’ll enter the hallway, which is the name for Clubhouse’s main feed. There you can:
- Enter any active public chat room to listen in or take part in the conversation.
- Start a private chatroom with any of your friends if you swipe (right to left) in the hallway.
- See upcoming discussions based on clubs you’ve followed or scheduled rooms
- Review notifications to see who has followed you, when someone you follow is speaking in a room, invitations to join a room, and when someone you follow has scheduled a room to open.
- Search the member directory.
What happens when you enter a room?
When you enter a room you’ll join in as a listener with no microphone access. Make sure to listen to the conversation and get a feel for the tone and topic. If you would like to contribute to the discussion, click the hand icon and the moderators can choose to “bring you up to the stage”.
Using Clubhouse for mortgage
To make the most of Clubhouse for your mortgage business, start chat rooms to share your mortgage expertise and network with other professionals. Just remember to schedule your room in advance with a catchy headline and topic summary.
A great idea is to start referral rooms to focus on making referral connections outside of your own market. You can also host regularly scheduled chats for consumers where you answer questions how the mortgage process works or interview local business leaders.