Homebuyers engage the services of a mortgage broker or mortgage banker because they want to feel guided by an expert while purchasing their home. That human connection is going to become all the more vital as the mortgage process continues its journey toward digitalization. But if you are operating a conveyor belt approach to your business and ignoring your borrowers once they close, you are missing out on the opportunity to engage your best brand advocates.
Preparing them to be your biggest cheerleader starts at the moment you meet them. It’s obvious to say that you should be giving exceptional client care, but you need to check in with them during the process to make sure it’s all going smoothly. Once you have closed, prepare them for how appreciated their support moving forward will be to your mortgage business.
The following is the checklist that we use to produce loan love:
- Connect with your buyers on social media platforms.
- Give them a stellar experience.
- Check in with them during the mortgage loan process to see if everything is going well.
- Communicate with them using their preferred method – call, text, or email.
- Prepare them for anything negative while remaining positive.
- Close with no hassles.
- Get a testimonial video or written shoutout.
- Promote the closing with tagging on social media platforms.
- Give them the tools that they need to share their experience working with you.
- Send them excellent, timely information post-closing about how to unpack, ignore junk mail, add equity, and more.
Only THEN should you ask for referrals. Once plenty of time has passed, check in with them. Do a six-month gift. Continue to have a “real” social media relationship with them.